Loading...

Friday, April 13, 2007

My Meditation "Rituals"

I thought I'd write a bit about how I start and end my meditation sessions. I will also speak of a new adaptation to the taking refuge vows at the end of the sitting.

(Most of my "rituals" come from Thich Nhat Hanh's recommendations) First, I breath in and out deeply three times in front of my altar taking in the moment and preparing myself to enter meditation. Then I say the following gatha before sounding the bell three times:

Body speech and mind in perfect oneness, I send my heart along with the sound of this bell. May the hearers awaken from their forgetfulness- and transcend the path of anxiety and sorrow.

Then I breath deeply as I ring the bell threes times and bowing after each sounding. During the bowing and ringing of the bell I saying the follow while breathing deeply yet naturally:

I listen, I listen. This wonderful sound brings me back to my true home.

At this point I light a tea light candle as say:

Respectful of countless Buddhas I light this candle--brightening the face of the Earth.
I then bow.

Next, I light the incense saying:

In gratitude I offer this incense to all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time. May it be fragrant as Earth herself. Reflecting our careful efforts, our whole-hearted mindfulness and the fruit of understanding--slowly ripening. May all beings be companions of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. May we awaken from forgetfulness and realize our true home.

I then sound the bell and bow to the Buddha within us all.

Finally I bow to my cushion and settle in for meditation.

Upon finishing my session I ring the bell three times, again reciting the gatha (I listen, I listen. This wonderful sound brings me back to my true home). Then I get up slowly and take refuge in the three jewels. I use to just simply say: I take refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha but I have since added a few words to make it sink it more.

Now I say:

Aware of the Buddha within I take refuge in the Buddha. Aware of the 4 Noble Truths and the Eight-Fold Path I take refuge in the Dharma and aware of interconnectivity of all things I take refuge in the Sangha. And of course I bow between each refuge.

And that's my usual session.

Today I am headed over to my parent's house to teach some basics of meditation to my father. I'm excited but I'm also nervous--I've never taught anyone before. I do have a natural teaching talent, however, in other areas so I'm sure it will go just fine. We will be going slowly anyway so it should be fun. It's a lovely way to bond with my friend and father. :)

Enjoy your breathing!!

PHOTO: Image representing the Three Jewels of Buddhism--found HERE.

~Peace to all beings~

0 Comment:

Post a Comment