Loading...

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chapter 85: Chatting

  • Chapter 85: Chatting
  • Written by: Living Buddha Lian-sheng, Sheng-yen Lu
  • Translated by: Harmony
  • Edited by: Dance Smith
  • Proofread by: Jessie
  • Padmakumara Translation Team
  • Website: www.padmakumara.org
Chapter 85: Chatting
When I was teaching the dharma at Ling Shen Ching Tze Temple in Seattle, U.S.A., my disciples would often say, "Now, please welcome Grand Master to chat with us In reality, that was not chatting, or some other inconsequential talk; it was giving a dharma talk on a specific theme in front of group of people.
Of course, all my dharma talks concentrated on the truth of Buddhism, aiming to highlight the realization that comes from practice. I used a relaxed and flexible approach. I tried to be as lively and evocative as possible because my disciples could easily accept talks like that.
In cultivation, I am like a great lion. I surpass all others in discernment and diligence. Nevertheless, when it comes to conversation or chatting, I become very awkward and lose the ability to talk well. Although I have lived in Seattle for the past twenty years, you will never see me engaged in useless or trivial conversations.
At restaurants, I often say these three sentences: "Amitabha, it's time to eat." "Amitabha, it's delicious." "Amitabha, I'm full." In front of a large gathering, I am always self-controlled. Mindfulness and wisdom are constantly present in every moment of my work. I never chat just to kill time. I feel chatting is a waste of time. It is frivolous cultivation; it is useless, boring, immature and harmful. Chatting involves gossiping about others' rights and wrongs. It is full of rubbish and meaningless remarks.
Regardless of the meditation center, all disciples should engage in meditation, chant mantras or the names of buddhas, and diligently endeavor to practice. Chatting should be prohibited because it is harmful. People may unknowingly commit bad speech karma. While I am living in reclusion, I don't need to worry about creating bad speech karma because I don't have anyone to converse with. My lips are tightly sealed.
I immerse myself in the Great Mindfulness. From the Great Mindfulness arises Great Wisdom. The more clumsily I speak, the more brightly the light of wisdom shines.
Toolbox

0 Comment:

Post a Comment